Wales Heads of Trading Standards

Improving Trading Standards in Wales

Penaethiaid Safonau Masnach Cymru Yn Gwella Safonau Masnach Yng Nghymru

Food and agriculture

Local Authorities have a statutory duty to enforce feed law as part of the UK’s national “Official Controls” overseen and audited by the Food Standards Agency.

Aims and objectives include:

Ensuring that animal feeding stuffs produced, sold, stored or supplied and used are safe and wholesome, produced under hygienic conditions; of a satisfactory quality and composition; not adulterated; suitably labelled and advertised; so as to protect the health of the public and animals and the rights/expectations of consumers. 

Providing traders and consumers with advice on the hygiene, composition and labelling of animal feed, increasing the awareness of the dangers of contaminated feed, including routes of transmission and methods of prevention. 

Investigating cases of contaminated animal feeding stuffs and where possible identifying the source of contamination and prevent further spread. 

Ways in which these aims and objectives are met include:

The statutory registration, approval of feeding stuffs premises. 

Carrying out a range of programmed activities including the inspection, sampling and monitoring of premises and products, 

Taking follow-up action as necessary in accordance with published enforcement policies, to ensure that identified breaches of legislation is rectified. 

Investigating complaints concerning feeding stuffs. 

Taking enforcement action that is proportionate, transparent, consistent and targeted, in line with the Feed Law Code of Practice and Practice Guidance, and Food Standards Agency advice and guidance, and relevant internal enforcement policies. 

Providing information, advice and training on matters relevant to animal feeding stuffs.

Liaising with relevant bodies over issues of enforcement and consistency. 

Ensuring that staff are appropriately qualified, possess suitable technical and professional skills, and are competent to perform the duties expected. 

Monitoring the implementation of procedures to ensure that service standards are maintained and where appropriate improved. 

Feed business establishments (premises) that manufacture, market, distribute or use animal feeds, including feed additives must be registered with their Trading Standards Service. Guidance on this, and the appropriate application form, are available from your local authority Trading Standards Service and the Food Standards Agency.

Frequently asked questions

Who is covered by the Feed Hygiene Regulations? 

Virtually all feed businesses that make, market or use animal feed, including manufacturers of compound feeds, feed materials, feed additives and premixtures, and importers and sellers of these products, require to be registered and/or approved. The Regulation also applies to those who transport (e.g. haulage companies) or store feed, to biofuel and food businesses selling co-products or surplus food for use as feed, to pet food manufacturers, and to feed for creatures living freely in the wild and wild game intended for human consumption. Livestock farms, fish farms and arable farms growing and using or selling crops for feed use are also within the scope of the Regulation.

Is there a fee for registration or approval? 

There are no fees for the registration of establishments. However, there is a fee chargeable by the enforcement authority for establishments applying for approval for the first time, and for an amendment to an existing approval.

What are the requirements for farms? 

Most livestock farms and arable farms that grow, use or sell crops for use as animal feed will need to comply with the requirements of Annex I of the Feed Hygiene Regulation. This requires that operators avoid hazards to ensure that feed produced and used is protected against contamination and spoilage. There are also certain record-keeping requirements that must be met. The majority of farms do not need to apply HACCP principles.

I've bought some animal feed or fertiliser which I think is off, what should I do? 

You should contact your local Trading Standards service. You will need to provide details of when and where you bought the animal feed or fertiliser along with any batch code and any other labelling information.  The officers will then investigate and advise as appropriate.

Web links

Food Standards Agency guidance for farmers on the new EC Feed Hygiene Regulations

Trading Standards Business Companion Pet Shop Guidance

If you have any queries about this subject contact your local authority Trading Standards Service